If you’re a business owner and you’re going through a relationship breakdown or divorce (or are considering going down this track), no doubt you’re wondering whether your ex-spouse has a legal right to part of your business.
The answer is not simple, as it depends on a number of factors, including the structure of your business, your financial situation, and the contributions that each spouse has made to the business.
To understand this fully, we need to first examine how the courts treat assets during Family Law matters.
In Australia, the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) sets out the principles that the courts are to follow when dividing the assets of a couple who are separating or divorcing. The Act states that the court must first identify the parties’ property pool. This is done by identifying all of the assets and liabilities that the parties have, both individually and jointly.
A business can become part of the asset pool divided in divorce in Australia. Any legal interest in a business or company, regardless of the business structure, is considered property under the Family Law Act.
Once the property pool has been identified, the court will then divide the pool between the parties in a just and equitable manner. The court will consider a number of factors when making this decision, including:
In most cases, a business will form part of the property pool. This means that the court may order that the business be sold or that one spouse transfer their interest in the business to the other spouse.
While the ownership of the business will impact how it may be divided, that doesn’t mean that spouses without a legal ownership can’t claim a share. If the business is owned by one party only, the other party may still be entitled to a share of its value, depending on their contributions to the business and the other factors considered by the court.
If the business is owned by both parties, the court will consider their respective ownership interests when dividing the asset pool. For example, if one party owns a 75% share of the business and the other party owns a 25% share, the court is likely to divide the business in accordance with those ownership interests.
However, even in the case of equal ownership, the court is not bound to divide the business equally. The court may order a different division of the business if it is fair and equitable to do so. For example, the court may award a larger share of the business to the party who has made significant financial or non-financial contributions to the business.
It is important to note that the court will also consider the future needs of each party when dividing the asset pool. For example, the court may award a larger share of the business to the party who is primarily responsible for caring for young children.
There are a number of things that a business owner can do to protect their business in the event of a relationship breakdown or divorce:
If you are considering divorce and you have a business, it is important to seek legal advice to understand your rights and options. A lawyer can help you to negotiate a property settlement agreement with your spouse or represent you in court if necessary.
Further reading: Why a single mum makes a brilliant business mum.
We are our brains. Every synapse, nerve, and muscle is connected in one way or another to our brain. It determines everything about us, which makes it both our biggest asset and our fatal flaw. When our brains are cared for and operating well, we can be incredibly well-established in our lives. However, if a...
Contents: Collagen powder is like stardust … it makes you look younger! But with so much available to buy at online pharmacies, in health shops and even in supermarkets, where do you start in your search for a quality product that does what it say on the label? A great place is right here! So,...